I have always claimed to hate New Year’s resolutions. Why must we wait until the year turns over to commit to big changes in our lives? However, I must not hate them as much as I like to think because I can’t get them off my mind. Turns out that I have many of them:
- Get my ass in the best shape of my life:
Whoah, a resolution about getting healthier; how unique! That’s just amazing Mr. 1500!!!
I know, I know. However, this is a little different for me. Being healthy is my natural state. However, we were so damn busy in 2016 with the home remodel and work, I let myself go:
In the summer of 2015, I would jump on my road bike and pedal into the mountains at least twice a week. My total mountain rides for summer of 2016: zero, nada, zip, zilch – complete and total failure. ***looks down, shakes head*** Anyway, this is the year where I get rid of my gut and turn my body into a manly, potent, virile, fierce, killing machine:
That or get my body fat under 10%.
- Ship a Ruby on Rails (web) app: I like to write code, especially web apps. I haven’t done one in a while though, so decided to teach myself Ruby on Rails and crank out some 1s and 0s. Warning, geek talk ahead: It’s going well, but I admit that I had to read about lambdas about 46 times before they sunk in.
- Ship at least one mobile app: I’ve coded iPhone apps before and really enjoyed it. I’m looking forward to learning the new Swift programming language and shipping an app in the new year.
- More dinosaurs: There can never be too many dinosaurs. (Mrs. 1500 note: Yes, there actually can be too many dinosaurs. Come visit and I’ll show you what it looks like.)
- Drink less: I don’t have a drinking problem. Unless I’m on vacation (or hanging out with the Mad Fientist), I limit my alcohol intake to a couple beers on Fridays and Saturdays. However, 1 or 2 can quickly escalate to 3 or 4 (or 6 to 8 if at FinCon). And when it does, I don’t sleep well. I wake up in the middle of the night sweating and don’t feel rested the next day. To keep track of my beery ways, I created the Beer-O-Meter, a spreadsheet in Google Docs that automatically keeps track of my drinking. (Mrs. 1500 note: Oh my God! I married such a dork!)
- Blog stuff: My 1500 days are up next month. The blog either dies after that or goes in another direction. More soon.
- Work stuff: I cut my hours down to 24 per week in November with a glorious 12 weeks of vacation. For reasons I can’t discuss, I can’t elaborate on my work plans. I hate sounding all secretive, but this is how it has to be. Only for now though. The situation will change and you’ll be the first to know.
- Turn a light off when you leave the room: This one is for Mrs. 1500 who doesn’t know that light switches go down too. (Mrs. 1500 note: Mr. 1500 installed this switch cover, because the screws are not all vertical lines. I’m so embarrassed…) (Mr. 1500 Rebuttal: Stop trying to change the subject.)
- Travel!: We have big travel plans including:
- East Coast: In July, we are going to fly into Washington, DC and travel all the way up to Maine. We hope to see many new and old friends on our journey.
- Europe: The Mrs. and I are flying across the pond to visit friends. (Mad Fientist, can I turn the Beer-O-Meter off for the week?)
- Get my hands on a ^&%$ing NES Classic: I have fond memories of playing Nintendo as a kid. As soon as the NES Classic was announced, I knew that I had to have one. The issue is that despite huge hype, the brainiacs at Nintendo produced about 5 of them for the holiday season. I may or may not have gone to stores early in the morning to try to get one. OK, I totally did. #pathetic
- Finish my girls’ playhouse: I promised the girls a zip-line with Komodo Dragons and I intend to deliver. Here are the plans:
And the playhouse is almost done! I just need to build a launch platform on the tree stump (you can see it in the picture below), install the zip-line and acquire a couple Komodo Dragons. Luckily, there is a Komodo Dragon rescue facility down the street where I can adopt them.
How about You?
Enough about me. What about you? Answer one or more of the following:
- What is in store for your 2017?
- Tell me about an awesome goal that you’re going to accomplish.
- Do you wish to contribute to my Komodo Dragon fund? (5 free zip-line rides for each $10 contribution) You’re guaranteed to probably not die. Maybe.
- Do you have any awesome travel plans?
- What should I name the Dragons?
One more thing: Mrs. 1500 launched a Facebook group recently for the blog. If the mood strikes you, please join us: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1500days Feel free to discuss money, frugality or Komodo Dragons.
Join the 10s who have signed up already!
Subscribing will improve your life in incredible ways*.
*Only if your life is pretty bad to begin with.