This week, the blog takes a slight diversion while I experiment with soylent, a liquid food substitute. At the end of each day, I’ll write a brief post telling you how it went. Below is my update for Wednesday. The Thursday Rant returns next week.
Before we get to today’s update, here are my stats:
- Sunday night: 168.2
- Monday night: 168.0
- Tuesday night: 166.6
- Wednesday night: 166.0
- #1: Still crazy neon yellow.
- #2: First thing in the morning and then another afternoon movement.
Other important information
- Hungry?: No
- Lust after real food?: No. I made Mrs. 1500 put all the delicious food out of sight.
- Does it still taste disgusting?: Yes, but getting better.
- Convinced Mrs. 1500 to try it?: Nope.
Hot sauce is not the answer
By now, you know that my DIY soylent is gross. It has a sickly, sweet taste to it. It’s like the worst vanilla protein shake you ever had, but left behind the couch for a month or two. I can barely tolerate it. As a result, I’ve been experimenting with the recipe a bit.
In a severe lapse of judgement (the magnitude of this lapse cannot be understated), I added hot sauce to the crap-coction. This was not a good idea. Just when you couldn’t think it would get any worse, it got worse. A lot worse. I was too lazy to make another batch, so I held my nose and choked it down.
I did find some ways to make it a little better though. I get it super cold and also thin it out as much as possible. Drinking it is much better that eating with a spoon as I had been doing. Michelle, from Shop My Closet Project also suggested cinnamon which did wonders.
Other random observations
- My weight: I am eating 2000 calories a day, but my pounds are melting off. I am gifted with a fast metabolism, but I am still surprised by just how fast the weight is coming down. However, it’s only been 3 days and I expect that I would plateau at some point.
- General well being: After work yesterday and today, I went outside to do some carpentry on the house (hello porch swings). I felt full of energy, carrying and nailing boards for a couple hours. Perhaps this is an anomaly. I’ll be working out at the health club tomorrow. I’m curious to see how I’ll feel then.
Mrs. 1500 lobs another grenade
Mrs. 1500 has put the
death star crock pot back in the cabinet. Whatever she was making with it has been moved to the refrigerator. The banana bread has been moved to the freezer. Just when I thought everything was better, she uttered this in the most sarcastic voice she could muster:
What would you like for dinner tonight? Oh, I forgot, you’re doing the soylent tonight. Never mind then…
I hope the soylent experiment isn’t the end of our marriage. A dinosaur custody battle would surely be long and painful.
Join the 10s who have signed up already!
Subscribing will improve your life in incredible ways*.
*Only if your life is pretty bad to begin with.