Quick note: I’ve been thinking a lot about happiness lately. I’m at a good place in life, the best I’ve been in decades, so have a lot to say on the matter. On Monday, tune in for Part 1 of a 3 part series on happiness…
Getting Mired In FIRE
When I discovered FI way back in October of 2012, I thought that it would go like this:
- I’d read up a bunch on investing/personal finance. (When I discovered FIRE, I didn’t even know what an index fund was.)
- Mindy and I would optimize our money (jack up our savings rate) and life (move to a simpler, cheaper home).
- Early retirement!
FI would be an important phase of my life, but that’s all it would be. And now, here I am 11 year later, still attending money events and writing about them.
I just got back from the Camp FI in Southern California. Camp FI is an informal event where people gather for a long weekend in beautiful parts of the world.
At this camp, someone asked me this:
Why are you here? You’re already retired. What do you get out of these?
I thought about for a bit and came up with this:
- Travel: Camp FIs are usually held in pretty neat parts of the country. It’s an opportunity to experience something new.
- People: The folks who come to these things are a fun bunch. It’s usually not stuffy money talk. This time, there was a lot of talk about happiness and what comes after reaching financial independence.
I also noticed something about Camp FIs that I think is incredible:
At any given Camp, about 1/3 of the attendees are folks who have attended a previous one.
Returnees aren’t coming to learn anything new. They’re coming for one thing: The Tribe
Finding your place in the world is such an important happiness factor. The biggest part of finding your place is finding your people.
In my case, I felt out of place for much of my life.
Why doesn’t anyone want to talk about rockets or neural nets?
I had conversations about both at this camp! This is my tribe.
I’m glad that FIRE showed me how to get my money together. Much more importantly, it gave me a path to get my life together.
More 1500 Days!!!
You can also find me (and the dinosaurs) at:
Mile High FI podcast:
- Facebook: Facebook group and page
- YouTube: My channel is mostly devoted to home improvement, but I have some other material coming up soon too.
- Instagram: Pretty pictures of dinosaurs, sunsets, and nail guns!
- Twitter: Spontaneous, often insane, ramblings
- Coworking space: On the surface, MMM HQ is a coworking space. Look a little deeper and you’ll see that we’re really building community. The members of MMM HQ are some of the finest people I know.
Join the 10s who have signed up already!
Subscribing will improve your life in incredible ways*.
*Only if your life is pretty bad to begin with.