Mrs. 1500 is trying to lose a couple pounds and so am I. I’ve been focusing on cardio exercise because:
- Greece and Thanksgiving were unkind to my belly and butt. In other words, I was overserved. In other words, I struggle with self-control and shove food into my mouth with reckless abandon sometimes. Mmmm, stuffing
- My shoulder still hurts. I’m going to let it rest for a while longer before resuming strength training.
So, I’ve been running and walking. A lot. The most remarkable result of hoofing around town has been my lower heart rate.
I have a fancy Fitbit Blaze which keeps track of my heart rate. I like paying attention to this metric because it’s a direct indicator of fitness. The stronger your heart is, the more blood it can pump, so the less it has to beat. Extreme athletes have resting heart rates in the 30s while the average human is usually in the 70s.
As I’ve been running, I’ve been paying attention to my resting heart rate. Last week, it went down to 58 for a day, a new all-time low for me. Yippee!
And when I zoom out to 3 months, I see a bumpy trajectory downward:
While I’m sad that I’ve had to temporarily suspend my strength training, I’m happy to see that I’m getting in better cardio health.
- Weight: 161.0 (Can I see 155??)
- Body fat %: 17.5 (Maybe I can get this under 15 once and for all?!)
- BMI: 22.5
I made my goal of 6,000,000 steps this year, but won’t make my stretch goal of 7,000,000:
I’m debating whether or not to set a step goal in 2019. I think that speed-walking has helped with weight loss, but wandering around town for hours on end isn’t the most productive use of time. Perhaps I could achieve the same weight loss with
Mrs. 1500 and I both need to focus on our health in the new year. All of the money in the world doesn’t mean a thing if you’re in poor health. The great thing about FI life is that you get the time to work on yourself.
Something that helps motivate us is having an athletic event to look forward to:
- May: We’ll be running the 5K at the Berkshire Hathaway meeting
- May: We’ll be running a half-marathon as well. We’re still trying to figure out which one.
- July: We’ll ride RAGBRAI which is a bicycle ride across Iowa. It’s more fun that it sounds!
If the mood strikes you, join us for one of these events!
Join the 10s who have signed up already!
Subscribing will improve your life in incredible ways*.
*Only if your life is pretty bad to begin with.