The 1500 house has been bustling with activity lately. Mindy and I have decided that we’re going to finish our current remodeling projects and then take a break. We’ll resume in the fall when the girls are back in school. Getting our place to a good stopping point has taken a considerable amount of effort.
Our home has 4 levels:
- Level 1 (Basement) This is mostly done, but I still have a bathroom to finish.
- Level 2 (Family room, office, and bathroom) I’ve already remodeled the office and bathroom. We’ve also put new flooring on the entire level.
- Level 3 (Living room, dining room, and kitchen) We’ve painted and installed new flooring. The kitchen will be a fall project.
- Level 4 (Bedrooms and bathrooms) 2022? 2023??
We spend most of our time on levels 2 and 3, so that’s what we’re focusing on. It will be nice not to live in a chaotic environment.
I was supposed to publish a post about our March money performance today, but performance updates take a long time to write, so you’ll have to wait until next week. I’m going with something short and simple today.
The $1,000,000 Question
My friend DGI tweeted this morning:
If you received $1 million today, what would you do with it?— Dividend Growth Investor (@DividendGrowth) April 19, 2021
This question fascinates me. I’ll tell you what I’d do, but I also want to hear your answers.
First, I wouldn’t:
- Pay off the mortgage: Over the long-term, I’m more comfortable with having a mortgage and investing the money that’s not tied up in my house. I think that I’ll earn more than 3.5% (my mortgage rate) over a 3-decade time-period and having debt doesn’t bother me. It’s worked out well for us in the past.
- Buy anything: I just can’t think of anything that I could buy that would make me happy. I’ll pick up an electric vehicle at some point, but I’m holding out for technological improvements.
- Help someone: On a road trip last year, we drove through a Navajo reservation. The poverty was startling. And just to make life worse, the community was ravaged by COVID. Read more here.
- Invest in VTI and maybe a little QQQ: VTI because that’s the wise and rational thing to do. QQQ because I’m still obsessed with big tech.
- Invest the rest in Tesla and Dogecoin! Just kidding! We own too much Tesla already and owning Dogecoin would not allow me to sleep well at night.
How about you?
Join the 10s who have signed up already!
Subscribing will improve your life in incredible ways*.
*Only if your life is pretty bad to begin with.