This post was just supposed to just be my EconoMe talk. Here it is:
The talk was great. It was one of the best moments of my 2021 and I’m a better person for having done it.
But then I reflected a bit more and realized I had something else to say.
Bucket List Items I Didn’t Know I Had
I think bucket lists are silly. It’s good to have goals, but focusing on them takes you out of the present. The best parts of life aren’t the minuscule moments where you do something you’ve been planning for years, but the journey. My dislike of bucket lists didn’t stop me from creating one. I even created an Anti-Bucket List of stuff I never want to do. But I digress…
This year has been a pretty great one:
- I started a podcast: Check out Mile High FI!
- I explored new cities: Wandering around new places is a lot of fun. I got to explore Oaxaca, Texas and Cincinnati this time.
- I installed solar panels: As a kid, I was obsessed with solar energy: “Wait, there is tons of FREE energy landing on the earth every second?!??” I remember having toy cars with solar panels. Now, I have a real home with solar panels. DIYing the job was a lot of work, but very rewarding.
- And I gave a talk in front of 500 people:
FIRE allowed me to do all of these things. If I had a standard job, I wouldn’t have had the time to travel extensively. I wouldn’t have had the time to install the solar panels. I wouldn’t have had the time to prepare for a big talk. Time is the most valuable resource. My life is richer and a hell of a lot more fun because of financial independence. It’s turned into a series of bucket-list-worthy items I didn’t even know I wanted.
And while I just pointed out the big-ticket items, the most satisfying aspect of life and the one that really matters is daily existence. It’s pretty great just to hang out with friends on top of a mountain on a random weekday.
More 1500 Days!!!
You can also find me (and the dinosaurs) at:
Mile High FI podcast:
- Facebook: Facebook group and page
- YouTube: My channel is mostly devoted to home improvement, but I have some other material coming up soon too.
- Instagram: Pretty pictures of dinosaurs, sunsets, and nail guns!
- Twitter: Spontaneous, often insane, ramblings
- Coworking space: On the surface, MMM HQ is a coworking space. Look a little deeper and you’ll see that we’re really building community. The members of MMM HQ are some of the finest people I know.
Join the 10s who have signed up already!
Subscribing will improve your life in incredible ways*.
*Only if your life is pretty bad to begin with.