One of my favorite parts of a FIREy life is slow travel. Before I left work, my vacations were like this:
- Ask boss for one week off.
- Fly somewhere on Friday night after work.
- Run around like a crazy person trying to cram 21 days of activity into 7.
- Arrive home exhausted on Sunday night.
- Go back to work Monday morning in a daze.
Now, travel looks more like this:
- Ask family and friends what they’ll be doing over the summer and when they’re available.
- Jump in the car and leisurely drive to our destination, stopping to see silly roadside attractions and eating pie frequently.
- Arrive at our destination a couple of days later. Maybe more if we get distracted.
- Sit back and enjoy the company of friends and family.
- Do some sightseeing, but mostly hang out at the beach; building sandcastles with the girls and watching the waves.
- A couple weeks later, drive back home.
We have a summer full of travel planned:
- June (Florida): I hope to see a SpaceX launch. After that, the Mrs. and I get some alone time when we go to Cuba on a cruise.
- July (road trip!): We’re jumping in the car and heading west. This trip will revolve around people.
- Las Vegas: We’ll visit with family and friends. I’m not looking forward to the desert heat. And by not looking forward, I mean that I can’t &*^%ing stand heat! However, it will be good to catch up with people. If I don’t melt first. Seriously, how to humans live here in the summer?!???
- Los Angeles: We’ll be in Southern California for the July 4th holiday. We’ll hang out with the Wafflers, visit the Petersen Automotive Museum and fart around at the beach.
- San Diego: More friends and more beach.
- Southern Utah (family reunion!): In addition to seeing family, I’m going to visit Zion National Park and hike Angel’s Landing.
- July (NYC and Philadelphia): Mrs. 1500 is going to Philadelphia for Podcast Movement and we’ll be joining her. Before the conference, we’re going to work in a weekend in NYC.
- August (Midwest): I’ll be speaking at Camp FI in Minnesota. After that, I’ll head down to Chicago (my old stomping grounds) to visit with friends.
How about you?
- What do you have planned for summer?
- If you’re FIREd, how has it changed your travel?
- If you’re not FIREd, how will travel change for you when you’re done?
And if you have any good suggestions for Orlando, Cocoa Beach, LA, San Diego, Philadelphia, NYC, the Twin Cities or Chicago, let me know! I’m partial to:
- Pizza! And tacos.
- Good microbrews!
- Science stuff (museums, anything about space or physics)
Join the 10s who have signed up already!
Subscribing will improve your life in incredible ways*.
*Only if your life is pretty bad to begin with.