My main goal* was to build an investment and cash portfolio of $1,120,000* ($1,000,000 to retire on and $120,000 to pay off the house) in 1500 days**, starting from 1/1/2013 and ending in February of 2017. I made my goal in 2016, my 1500 Days are over, and I’ve left my job. In the interest of openness, I’ll continue to share my numbers.
Summertime is busy time! The girls are out of school and we’ve been making the most of the freedom.
Freedom means hiking:
Freedom means hanging out with old friends:
Freedom means harassing the local insect population with my camera:
Freedom means travel (Ah, to see the ocean again!!!):
Freedom means museums:
What I haven’t been doing is paying attention to this blog.
When I quit work back in 2017, I was so worried about being bored. Now, I have enough activity in mind to keep me busy for decades. I’ll run out of life far before I run out of ideas and projects. But it’s all good. Life is positively peachy. Sorry blog for neglecting you.
May was a down month; only the second this year. They can’t all be zingers. Our net worth started the month at $4,042,234 and ended at $3,937,772 for a loss of $104,462:
The only way to play the investing game is long-term, so monthly farts don’t phase me in the slightest.
2021 (as of 5/31/2021)
- Days elapsed: 151
- Net worth gains: $408,026
Since the Start (1/1/2013)
- Days elapsed: 3072
- Net worth gains: $3,201,729
My favorite part of the FI world is the community. I’m an enthusiastic introvert (EI), but even EIs need people-time. Now that the world is back open, we’ve been hosting friends at our pool almost daily.
The shabby pool has done two amazing things:
- It got us a big discount on the house. No one in Colorado wants a pool.
- It has made our yard a great place to hang out.
Regarding the second point, the adults talk while the kids float around on unicorns and dinosaurs.
And it’s fun to have interesting people to talk to. During a recent afternoon after I brought up the topic of machine learning, a friend reached into her bag and gave me a TensorFlow sticker (she worked at Google).
Life is a lot more fun when you have interesting people to share it with.
More 1500 Days!!!
You can also find me (and the dinosaurs) at:
Mile High FI podcast:
- EconoMe: Hey look, I’m speaking at EconoMe later this year!
- Facebook: Facebook group and page
- YouTube: My channel is mostly devoted to home improvement, but I have some other material coming up soon too.
- Instagram: Pretty pictures of dinosaurs, sunsets, and nail guns!
- Twitter: Spontaneous, often insane, ramblings
- Coworking space: On the surface, MMM HQ is a coworking space. Look a little deeper and you’ll see that we’re really building community. The members of MMM HQ are some of the finest people I know.
Other resources I like:
- Camp FIs are amazingly fun! I hope to attend Rocky Mountain and Joshua Tree this year. See you there?
- Need to learn how to invest? The Simple Path to Wealth is all you need.
- New to FIRE? Need some FIREy guidance? Check out Fiology and the accompanying workbook!
*My goal wasn’t to have $1,120,000 at the end of 1500 days, but at any time before the day count was up. Why? It all goes back to the 4% Rule. Remember that our little friend, Mr. 4%, is nothing more than the most conservative safe withdrawal rate. Since my investment portfolio now sits at $1,550,000, I can spend about $62,000 in my first year of retirement.
**My original goal was $1,000,000 and no debt, I later raised the goal by $120,000 to $1,120,000 because I will have debt in the form of a mortgage and I firmly believe in not paying it off (LOOK at the MONEY I’m MAKING!). My compromise was to have enough money put away to cover the mortgage at the time of retirement.
***This is an affiliate link. If you sign up, the blog (me) makes some cold, hard, beautiful, cash. Personal Capital is a totally free and awesome way to keep watch over your investments. It’s worth it for the fee analyzer alone. I would never recommend anything that I don’t personally use and completely believe in, so give it a try. If you’ve already signed up through the link, please know that you are a fine person of above-average intelligence.
Join the 10s who have signed up already!
Subscribing will improve your life in incredible ways*.
*Only if your life is pretty bad to begin with.